CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog and thanks for reading! To find out how my husband and I ended up with 7 dogs, check out The Story of Our Family







Thursday, May 26, 2011

Update

Gabe is recovering quite well and pretty quickly. He is already starting to put weight on his leg whenever he walks around. I've had to stop him many times from trying to be too active. He doesn't seem to be in any more pain, but that makes me nervous because he probably thinks he can do more than he can, like run and jump around.

Yesterday I started his physical therapy exercises with him, which he was not happy about, but once we finished he was rewarded with some tasty Pupparonis. The other dogs benefited too because I can't just give Gabe treats and not the other pups :). We have to continue his exercises for at least 8 more weeks and then on the 9th week he will start going on a couple 15 minute walks everyday. I have the day marked on my calendar when Gabe can start going on walks again...I love going on walks with Gabe, it always makes me happy and going for 4 months without our walks is hard on both of us.

Next Wednesday Gabe will get out his staples...I'm NOT looking forward to this appointment. He always turns into the biggest baby whenever he is on the exam table. But after that he doesn't have to go back to the vet for 7 weeks, which is when he will be getting X Rays to make sure everything healed the way it's supposed to.

We did have a little incident on Saturday morning though. I was home by myself with the dogs and Gabe's leg looked really swollen and his incision was oozing a little (sorry for being gross). I panicked because I called the vet and they told me to bring him in, but Chris was gone and Gabe is way too big for me to lift on my own. I tried building a ramp out of a piece of wood from the ground to the back of my car for Gabe to walk up but he did not like that idea. I tried several times to lift him on my own, but I couldn't even get his legs off the ground. Luckily, Chris called our neighbor across the street and he came over and helped me get Gabe in the car. OH the days when I carried my little Gabey every where...Anyways, the vet said the swelling was normal, especially because Gabe was laying down most of the time and his incision didn't ooze any more so that wasn't an issue either.

As for the other dogs, they are being great brothers and sisters. It's like they know that Gabe has a hurt leg and they aren't supposed to rough house with him. They are waiting patiently for the day when Gabe can chase them around the backyard, running as fast as they can.

On another note...I am waiting patiently/anxiously for the newest member of our family!! I'm going to be an aunt any day now to a precious little boy named Barrett! As soon as I get the call, I'm hopping in my car and heading down to Austin to meet him!

3 comments:

ForPetsSake said...

I'm very happy to hear Gabe is feeling better! Can't wait to see pics of Baby Barret!

Pup Fan said...

So happy to hear Gabe is on the mend!

Donna and the Dogs said...

Glad that he was feeling better so quickly! (I'm playing a bit of catch up on your blog). I bet by now he is doing awesome!

Post a Comment